February 10, 2009

Writing Critically About Reality Television: An Introduction

As a budding writer seeking to enter the blogosphere as a relevant voice, I have decided to first build the foundation of my blog around a catalog of websites that are of the upmost quality. This list is organized into the linkroll, which consists of organizational websites, personal/ professional blogs, and media databases.

To find these, I first compiled a list of sites that I regularly visited that offered commentary on television shows. I then started searching using the vast amount of search tools available, starting from powerful search engines such as Cuil and Google and ending with more discerning searches on sites such as Technorati and the Open Directory Project. I was able to build a long list of websites that were concerned with gender representations in media, LGBT representations in media, reality television, or any combination of the three.

Since I wanted the linkroll to contain links to sites of only the best quality, I decided to implement the Webby standards of content, structure and navigation, visual design, functionality, interactivity, and overall experience combined with the IMSA blog standards of depth, timing, usefulness, activity and bias to narrow down and govern what would be included.

Among some of the qualified sites that made it onto my final linkroll are After Elton (a trusted site that provides news, reviews and commentary on gay and bisexual men portrayed in entertainment and the media), TV Gay Guide (a frequently updated database that logs all shows with LGBT characters, and Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (an organizational website that represents the biggest LGBT media watchdog). To the right, you can see the strong visual aesthetics of the GLAAD website juxtaposed with the simplicity of the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media site.

I hope this blog matures into one that offers educated commentary on reality television and incites participation and discussion in my readers. I plan to produce work that is on par with the quality of my linkroll, which will constantly evolve to serve as a resourceful contribution to my musings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.